Foolish Waffles‘ co-owner Flo Gardner: This is my aunt’s recipe for these vegetarian patties with a cilantro sauce that I literally want to bathe in every time I make it. My aunt Sheila, an employee of Morton’s steakhouse for over 20 years, and a life-long vegetarian, is an incredible entertainer. She would host an annual birthday party for my grandfather in August every year until he passed. One of her staples at this gathering was these veggie patties, and every time I make them, they remind me of my fam. Enjoy my aunt’s veggie patties with cilantro sauce!
Foolish Waffles’ Flo’s Aunt Sheila’s Veggie Patties with Cilantro Sauce
Servings: 8 patties plus sauce
- 1 cup basmati rice, rinced
- 1/2 cup red lentils, rinsed
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp light sesame or peanut oil, plus 4 tsp.
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 cups diced onions
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup arrowroot
Cilantro Sauce …
- 1 cup cilantro
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed and seeded
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled
- 1-inch piece of ginger, peeled
- ¼ tsp salt
- Put them into a medium saucepan with the water and salt, cover and bring to a boil.
- Turn down to lowest heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Uncover and simmer an additional 15 minutes until all the water is absorbed.
- When you uncover the lentil/rice mix, heat the 2 tbsp sesame oil in a non-stick fry pan over medium heat.
- Add the cumin seeds and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the onion and cook until very tender (about 10 minutes).
- Add the red pepper flakes, and then add the onion mix to the rice-lentil mix and allow to cool.
- Once the rice-lentil mix is cool, form into small patties and coat with arrowroot (like cornstarch, only better).
- Fry in sesame oil over medium heat for 3-4 mins per side.
- Pour cilantro sauce (instructions below) on top, serve and enjoy!
- Put cilantro, coconut milk, lemon juice, jalapeno, garlic, ginger and salt into a blender, and blend until smooth.