Le Castagne‘s Executive Chef Michael DeLone: I make a mean gnocchi of which I have tons of recipes. So I can share one that uses pumpkin, which in a few months should be abundant! Enjoy my Pumpkin Gnocchi with Brown Butter, Sage and Pumpkin Seed Sauce!
Chef DeLone’s Pumpkin Gnocchi
with Brown Butter, Sage and Pumpkin Seed Sauce
Servings: approximately 4
- 4 cups of pureed pumpkin
- 2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- extra flour for dusting
- a good pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup gorgonzola dolce
- 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter, sliced into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 teaspoons sage, chiffonade
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup roasted and salted pumpkins seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Combine the pumpkin, flour, salt, pepper, egg and cinnamon in large bowl.
- Using your hands, mix the dough and divide dough into four sausage-shaped rolls.
- Roll each portion gently on a lightly-floured surface, about 1.5 cm (over 1/2 inch) thick.
- Slice dough into little cubic ‘pillows,’ approximately 1.5 cm to 2 cm (1/2-inch to 1 inch) each. (Tip: Sprinkle flour on gnocchi to prevent sticking.)
- With the tines of your fork, press lightly into the gnocchi to create an indentation.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan and add the sage.
- Continue cooking until browned bits begin to form at the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and remove from heat.
- Cook gnocchi in a large pot of salted boiling water until they rise to the surface.
- Drain, add the gnocchi into the saucepan and stir, adding chunks of gorgonzola dolce and sprinkling pumpkin seeds on top. Serve, and … Enjoy!