Velvet Sky Bakery‘s Owner/Baker Jordan Harvey: This recipe was a result of not having anything left in the house one night many years ago. I ended up having to improvise dessert for friends that came over for dinner. Since then, it’s become a real staple. Friends and family request it constantly! Enjoy my Quick Blueberry Puff Pastry with Crème Anglaise!
Quick Blueberry Puff Pastry with Crème Anglaise
Servings: 8 individual pastries
Preparation Time: Start to finish, about 20 minutes
- Blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 8 puff pastry
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 a vanilla bean (scraped)
- 4 egg yolks
- Reduce down blueberries (I always have fresh or frozen blueberries in the house; both work fine) in a saucepan on low heat with Frangelico (something I always have handy, as well).
- Bake 8 puff pastry in ramekins (to give them a nice shell shape).
- While these are working, I whip up a crème anglaise: In a saucepan, heat the cream and vanilla just until it starts to bubble.
- In a separate container, whip the egg yolks and sugar together until light yellow.
- Add the cream mixture to the yolks and sugar in the saucepan, whisking constantly, until the mixture coats a spoon.
- Strain this mixture into a bowl over ice, so it doesn’t overcook.
- When the puff pastry are baked, remove them from the ramekins, plate them and put a few tablespoons of the blueberry reduction into each pastry.
- Top with crème anglaise, and serve while warm, paired with a scoop of your favorite ice cream. Enjoy!