Miss Rachel’s Pantry‘s Rachel Klein: My coconut bacon acts as a great topping for many dishes, including my spaghetti scramble, and is the perfect vegan substitute for bacon bits. It has a slight “coconut-ty” taste but a lot of (healthy) fat. Enjoy!
Miss Rachel’s Pantry’s Rachel Klein’s Coconut Bacon
Servings: a bit less than a cup, in total
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup of flaked, unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon tamari
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Once hot, add the coconut. Reduce the flame to medium-low.
- Combine the liquid smoke and tamari in a mixing bowl and pour over the coconut.
- Now’s the tricky part. Coat well with the mixture and continue moving the coconut around the pan. It has to caramelize but not burn, and its first instinct is to burn. The coconut should be right where it needs to be in about 4-5 minutes. You’ll want it to look golden to medium brown.
- Remove from the heat, but keep the coconut in the hot pan, and drizzle with the agave nectar. NOTE: Adding this while the coconut is still cooking will cause burning.
- Sprinkle atop whatever you’re eating (spaghetti scramble, salad, whatever). Enjoy!