Good Dog Bar‘s Executive Chef Jessica O’Donnell: One of my favorite foods is, and has always been, mac & cheese. And I find that’s common for many people. Maybe it’s the kid in all of us. The mac & cheese we make here is one of the dishes that got me this job in the first place. It was one of the dishes that I made for owner Heather Gleason when I was interviewing. I consider mac & cheese to be one of our specialties, and now it can be one of your specialties at home, too. Enjoy Good Dog Bar’s Mac & Cheese!
Good Dog Bar’s Chef O’Donnell’s Mac & Cheese
Servings: 12 servings
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 pound butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 gallon milk
- 1.5 tablespoons salt
- 1.5 teaspoons white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 pound White Cheddar cheese
- 1 pound Gouda cheese
- 1/2 Gruyere cheese
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 7 ounces cornflakes
- 4 ounces butter oil mix
- In a pot, sweat the onion in the butter. Add the flour, and cook, stirring constantly for about 5 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the milk, salt, white pepper and nutmeg. Simmer gently for about 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in all three cheeses, and stir until all the cheese is melted. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pot, bring salted water to a boil, and add the macaroni.
- Cook the macaroni until very al dente. Strain and mix with the sauce. Adjust seasoning. Portion into dishes using a 12 ounce ladle.
- In a separate bowl, mix the cornflakes and butter oil mix together.
- Put 1/2 cup of this mix on top of each of the dishes. Serve with some cornbread (preferably, blueberry cornbread). Enjoy!