Choptank Oyster Company’s Kevin McClarren: We were competing at the Taste of Cambridge event. To be considered for the competition there had to be crab in the dish. We already had a recipe called Bubbafeller. Bubba works for us, and he stole his brother’s recipe for Rockafeller, so I named it Bubbafeller and put it up on our website. So, when we needed a recipe for this festival, another one of our gang, Travis Todd, stole that recipe from Bubba. Travis’ family owns a restaurant here in Maryland called Ocean Odyssey. They are one of our customers, and we teamed up for the competition. Below is a photo of us at the Taste of Cambridge. Enjoy our (twice-stolen) Crabafeller!
Servings: approximately 4 servings (3 oysters per person)
- 12 Choptank Sweets oysters
- 1/3 lb of fresh backfin crab meat
- ½ cup diced onion
- ½ lb bacon
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 pt heavy cream
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- Old Bay™ seasoning
- black pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes
- ⅓ cup dry sherry
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Chop and cook bacon in a pan; drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in the same pan, and add onion, garlic and lemon juice. Sauté over medium heat until transparent.
- Add cream, stir and allow to reduce until it thickens (about 5 minutes).
- Add spinach and stir until it cooks down.
- Add bacon. Add Old Bay, black pepper and red pepper flakes to taste. Add sherry and stir all the ingredients together.
- Shuck oysters, and place a big hunk of backfin crab meat on top. Then place a spoon full of sauce over each oyster.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Grill or broil oysters over high heat until cheese is melted. Enjoy!