Pizza Brain‘s pizza man Daniel Gutter: We were trying to make a pie using Brussels sprouts at Pizza Brain. I was reminded of a dish my mom used to make frequently when I was growing up — roasted Brussels sprouts, bacon, red onion and balsamic vinegar. We decided to use brown sugar instead of the balsamic at Pizza Brain, and we call the pie Kira Tierston. Kira is my sister’s name, and the “tier” in “Tierston” is a play on the tears you get from cutting red onions. Here’s a variation of the pie that I make at home, including my homemade dough. Enjoy my mom’s Brussels sprouts & bacon pizza!
Pizza Man Gutter’s Mom’s Brussels Sprouts & Bacon Pizza
Servings: two 13-14″ pizza pies
- 400 Grams flour
- 240 Grams Water
- 10 Grams Salt
- 8 Grams sugar
- 8 Grams Olive Oil
- 1 Package Active Dry Yeast
- Mix yeast with sugar, olive oil and warm water.
- Combine yeast mixture with flour and knead until incorporated.
- Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Add Salt, and knead until dough is shiny and all ingredients incorporated.
- Transfer to clean bowl and cover with dish cloth.
- Let rise until double in size.
- Refrigerate dough overnight.
- Transfer dough to well floured area.
- Portion dough into two equal size pieces.
- Form dough into two round dough balls.
- Let sit on counter for another hour.
- Roll or stretch dough.
- 1 cup of Brussels sprouts
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/2 lb bacon
- 6 oz tomato sauce
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- Shave Brussels sprouts with food processor or thinly slice.
- Roast Brussels sprouts at 500º F until they begin to brown.
- Take out and toss with brown sugar while sprouts are still hot.
- Cook bacon and slice. Chop red onion.
- Evenly spread sauce on pizza dough.
- Add mozzarella cheese.
- Top with Brussels sprouts, red onion and bacon.
- Bake at 500º F on pizza stone for 12 minutes or until pizza is evenly browned. Slice and enjoy!