City Tap House University City‘s executive chef Chad Vetter: This is a recipe from my Babci, which she mailed to me to share. This dish and stuffed cabbages was what she made when we would go over for dinner, which I always loved. Enjoy my Babci’s American Chop Suey!
Chef Chad Vetter’s Babci’s American Chop Suey
- ½ lb Elbow Macaroni
- ¾ cup Yellow Onion
- chopped 2 cloves garlic
- minced 1 Green Bell Pepper
- chopped ½ cup Butter
- 1 cup Button Mushrooms
- sliced ½ cup Flour
- 1 ½ TB Kosher Salt
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- 1lb Ground Beef
- 2 cups Tomatoes
- Cook macaroni until just done.
- For the sauce, saute onion, garlic and green pepper in butter for about 5 minutes, until just softened.
- Add flour, kosher salt and black pepper.
- Continue cooking until mixture begins to brown.
- Add ground beef, and cook for 10 minutes until just cooked through.
- Add tomatoes and mushrooms, and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Pour sauce over cooked macaroni, toss together, serve, and enjoy!