M Restaurant‘s executive chef Kyle Beebe: Family recipes are difficult. We have a few but they are locked away in my mother’s head. By learning as I see, my mother cooks by previous knowledge of dishes she’s made and just cooks from the heart.
One of my favorite quotes:
Once you understand the foundations of cooking – whatever kind you like, whether it’s French or Italian or Japanese – you really don’t need a cookbook anymore.
— Thomas Keller
But for the sake of this question, I have a recipe that I grew up with for brunches. I think the story [behind this recipe] goes: my grandmother heard it on the radio long ago. Enjoy my grandmother’s Finnish Pancakes!
Chef Kyle Beebe’s Grandmother’s Finnish Pancakes
- 3 well-beaten eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups milk (not skim)
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- Mix the first set of ingredients.
- Then mix in the second half.
- Pour into a greased baking sheet with walls and bake at 400 degree (F) non-convection for 10-15 minutes or until the surface is really poofy/bubbly and golden brown. When it cooks, the air will escape, and you’ll have this warm oven baked pancake.
- Then just top it with some sour cream, macerated strawberries and a touch of maple syrup. Enjoy!