Beer Cap Choppers’ Nate’s Grandfather’s Meatballs & Sauce
Servings: 25-30 meatballs & sauce
- DelGrosso meatless sauce (4 26 oz. jars)
- small onion – coarsely chopped
- olive oil (3 tbsp. or more)
- basil (a little over 3/4 tsp. – 2 large squirts from tube)
- 1 lb. each: ground meat, veal & pork (exactly 1 lb. each makes 25 – 30 meatballs)
- 1 egg
- Italian Bread Crumbs (1/2 – 2/3 cup)
- Locatelli Pecorino Romano cheese (1/2 cup)
- garlic (1 ¼ tsp.)
- parsley (1 ¼ tbsp. or more)
- 1 tsp sugar or Splenda
- salt & pepper to taste
- Caramelize onion in olive oil over medium heat.
- Add sauce, basil & Splenda.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Bring to a bubble over medium heat, then reduce to simmer while you make meatballs.
- In a large bowl, mix together ground meat, veal & pork with egg, bread crumbs, cheese, garlic & parsley.
- Roll meatballs no larger than 1 1/2 – 2 in. diameter. Place 1 raisin in the center of each meatball for tenderness.
- Bake meatballs in 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.
- Add meatballs to sauce, and simmer uncovered for 5-6 hours.
- Serve with long fusilli or your favorite pasta.
NOTE: The DelGrosso sauce jars are now 24 oz. You may need to add another 24 oz or smaller jar to get the desired amount of finished sauce.