Will BYOB‘s owner/chef Christopher Kearse: The first thing that I ever cooked with my Grandma was a coffee cake. I don’t make it very often anymore, but whenever I do, I’m reminded of the time that I was able to spend with her. Enjoy my Grandma’s Coffee Cake!
Will BYOB’s Christopher Kearse’s Grandma’s Coffee Cake
Servings: Approximately 12-16 slices of cake
- 1 cup butter
- 4 eggs
- 2 ¾ cups white sugar
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 ½ cups chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350°, and grease a 10-inch Bundt pan.
- Cream together the butter and 2 cups of sugar until fluffy. Add the vanilla and the eggs one at a time, beating the mixture continually after adding each egg.
- Combine the flour with the baking powder and baking soda. Add alternately with sour cream to the egg mixture, beating just enough after each addition to keep the batter smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine the walnuts, cinnamon and the rest of the sugar.
- Spoon about 1/3 of the batter into the Bundt pan, and sprinkle with about 1/3 of the walnut mixture. Repeat this step twice more.
- Bake at 350° for 70 minutes or until center is done.
- Let cake cool for about 10 minutes, then remove the pan and allow the cake to continue cooling. Enjoy!