Choptank Oyster Company’s Kevin McClarren: The Tilghman Island Inn’s David McCallum is one of our original customers. We used to deliver oysters to his restaurant directly right from our boat, and Dave always would reward our efforts with a beer on the house. This recipe was created by David McCallum and originally published by the Tilghman Island Inn. Enjoy Tilghman Island Inn’s Oysters Rockefeller.
Tilghman Island Inn’s Oysters Rockefeller
Servings: serves approximately 8 as a first course (4 oysters per person).
- Oil to coat pan
- Shallots – minced – 2 tbs.
- 3 slices apple smoked bacon
- 1/4 cup Pernod or annisette
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 qt heavy cream
- 2 cups spinach, washed, and de-stemmed
- Salt/pepper to taste
- 2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 32 freshly shucked Choptank Sweet oysters
- Heat saucepan, and add oil. When warm, add shallots and bacon. Stir to cook. If pan is too hot, remove from heat to cool slightly, and then return to heat. Cook until translucent.
- Add Pernod carefully, as the alcohol will flame. When the flame is extinguished, add wine and reduce liquid by half, over medium heat.
- Add cream and spinach and reduce the heat by half again.
- Season to taste.
- Ladle over shucked oysters, and rain with parmesan.
- Place in preheated oven until cream is golden.
- Save any left over topping in refrigerator or freezer. Enjoy!